Wednesday, September 1, 2010

日本語をあまりおもいおもいだしていません。。。

That first line means I don't really remember Japanese...

But! I completely lucked out on my host family, though I'll get to that in a moment. We'll do this in an orderly fashion.

When I last left off, we just went to dinner (dipped stuff in raw eggs, surprisingly delicious), then onsen, then passed out.

Went for a run before breakfast and saw a Japanese graveyard, it was gorgeous. Then breakfast, Mika party (Mika like the singer, you gotta know them!), pack, and go! We went to Nanzan University (finally), and were called one by one to our host family members. When I was called, I was instantly greeted by a hug from my host mother, Ryoko! Her daughter, Kazuno, and Kazuno's baby were with her, and they both walked with me to Ryoko's apartment. It's literally across the street from the university, how lucky am I. Some of the others got a 1 hour commute!


My meal with my okaasan


Me n' okaasan!


my room

We dropped off my stuff in my room, and Ryoko (from now on I'll call her Okaasan, because that's what she wants me to call her :) It means mother) sat me down and wrote down the things I will and will not eat. Then we took a taxi to a traditional and exceedingly fancy restaurant, where you sit on the floor and the area below the table is built lower for your feet. We ate the best meal I've had yet here, a smorgasbord of sashimi, kabocha soup, seaweed, custard, you name it. Then we finished with ice cream and ooh was it good. Afterward, we went to register me as an alien resident, which was an adventure in my Japanese skills, but Okaasan was really helpful and helped me fill everything out. Then they took me to the Hyakuken (100 yen or 1 dollar store) where I bought pretty stationary, and afterwards to the grocery store to buy food for dinner. We kept using the subway, so it was good practice, and they were quite patient with my awful Japanese, helping me out when they knew the English words for things. Their English is pretty good, they've travelled a bit in Austrailia, so I'm assuming that helped. When we went home, I put everything away and studied Japanese. My host mom is so warm and my room is so cozy, this place really feels like home!

Tomorrow is the Japanese placement test, wish me luck! Jaa mata :)

1 comment:

  1. Wait...what did she have you list? I wasn't sure if it was things you don't eat or shouldn't eat.

    But that's a small thing. I can't believe what a time you're in for! I'm so glad your host family is so welcoming. Good luck on the placement test!

    ReplyDelete