Monday, November 22, 2010

Still working on filling my quota of Japanese things

Hello all! Before this blog, I have gone to Kyoto, Nagoya port, Atsuta Jingu, Nagano, and basically ran around Nagoya. It's been a while since I last wrote, so I'll try to keep explanations short.

Kyoto was fantastic, I am definitely getting my money's worth by doing IES. And DU is paying for all of it! It's a sweet deal. We made hand-painted fans, saw Kinkaku-ji and Kiyomizu-dera, Nijo-jo Castle, and the bamboo forest at Arashiyama. We also got to speak to a Meiko and Geiko (Japanese words for apprentice geisha and geisha) and ride in a rickshaw around Arashiyama. Pretty stereotypical Kyoto experience, which of course is still fantastic.



Nagoya port was alright, it was rather industrial and didn't have much. We just went there and ate lunch. On the way back, there was a festival going on at Atsuta Jingu (one of Japan's most prominent shrines), so I stopped by there to check it out. An elderly Japanese man saw me when I walked in and said, "Hello! Wait for a second, I'm going to get coffee, then I'll show you around." I was rather surprised, but I'd have to say it's the best tour I've ever received in my life. The man is a retired structural engineer, and he took an hour and a half to explain the religious, structural, and cultural elements of each shrine in the entire Jingu. He also explained the festival, and we got to witness part of a Japanese style wedding. I am so blessed to have gotten such a thorough education there on Japanese cultural elements.



Then my okaasan took me to Kouranke to see the leaves turn for fall (this is called kouyou). My god was it gorgeous. We ate mochi, drank matcha, and basically just enjoyed the gorgeous fall weather.

Nagano is just a fantastically gorgeous place. We went to temples and shrines, I got to dip my feet in a foot-hot spring, then went to my friend's host family's friends (quite far removed) second home right outside the Japanese Alps. There, we had a Japanese-style barbecue (a grate inside a big wood table) and talked late. The next day, we went out walking, then drove to Magome, where there are some of the best views. Nagano reminds me a lot of Western Colorado, but different plants.



As far as school goes, I know I can give a mildly comprehensible presentation in Japanese, and I still absolutely love my classes. I'd have to say compared to DU, I'd much rather take classes at Nanzan. They are very serious about getting you a thorough education, and all my teachers are of the top quality.

Mata ato! Till next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment