Thursday, December 1, 2011

Noviembre

This month has been pretty regular--mainly working at the Youth Center and teaching classes. My middle-school classes ended this past Thursday, and I'll be finishing with my Data Mundo classes this upcoming Tuesday.

There hasn't been much happening...the biggest thing to report is that in early November, while I was washing the dishes a glass broke apart in my hand and cut me really deeply. I received 6 stitches and learned about Peruvian emergency rooms. The odd thing was that while I was laying on the gurney, Chris had to go to the on-site pharmacy to buy the materials; gloves, string, everything. It cost 11 soles for the whole ordeal--a grand total of $4. The good things were that I was relieved to understand the doctor's Spanish even while in shock, and my Chris was nice enough to knead my bread and wash my hair in the following month :)

Also, last week we went to celebrate Thanksgiving in Trujillo and a nearby beach with Chris' group of Peace Corps volunteers. Trujillo was gorgeous, it has an amazing statue in its town square and we enjoyed some great gringo (foreigner) food at a café in the center of town, as well as a couple really great Peruvian-style sandwiches. There are also lots of used book stores to explore, so we spent a good amount of time there. After, we went about 2 hours outside of Trujillo to another volunteer's site to an amazing (and cheap) hotel on the beach, and started cooking furiously. I made pumpkin pie with the spices my mom sent me, and several veggie dishes. Chris helped make a little of everything, plus a really amazing banana pudding (everyone's favorite dessert of the night). We had 3 turkeys cooked in a huge adobe oven in the back of a bakery--I wish you all could have seen the baker use his 9-foot paddle take the turkeys out of his oven half the size of a garage, but sadly I did not bring my camera. All in all, I ate some very gourmet food.





There were so many Americans and Peruvians!



I also ran in the 5k turkey trot and got a t-shirt for it, yay! I got 7th and Chris 8th, not bad for not running in months.

In a couple weeks now we'll be leaving for Macchu Picchu and Ancash with my friend Beth to celebrate Christmas, I'll let you know all about it :)

1 comment:

  1. Katie,

    I knew and roomed with your dad at UT Knoxville in the '70s. A number of years ago (I think you were in middle school) I was passing through Denver and paid a short visit to your home. Your dad mentioned that you were interested in writing, and being a writer myself and always wanting to encourage young writers, I gave him a copy of Writing Down the Bones to give to you. As I read your entries tonight, it would appear you learned your lessons well-- good writing is a rare but virtuous trait these days. One little "picky", though: it's "lying" in this instance, not "laying." Anyway, keep up the good work. By the way, I too have a blog if you're interested, though it's very new and a bit more introspective than most: http://pouringmusicfromacup.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete