Sunday, September 19, 2010

Long time no see!

Sorry this took so long to get up! It seems like life took me by storm the past couple weeks. What I am doing is a college education and a vacation all at once.

Since I last wrote, I've begun my Japanese classes! I've had about a week and 2 days of it. I got into 300 level, and it seems like the work there is the level of difficulty that I need.

I've also been running around experiencing Japan! Kazuno has taken me shopping and bought me an adorable skirt, and okaasan took me hiking and bike riding. I've also been cooking with okaasan (logging all the recipes, of course :D), and running around with friends experiencing the area. Me and my friends Taylor, Whitney, and Melody met a girl in the film-making club, Maki, at "coffee hour", which is where exchange students can meet Japanese students. We went to one of those meetings and ran around Nagoya with Maki, Anna (Maki's friend from another school), and Takumi (another film-club student).



Then, this weekend we went to Kanazawa, all the way on the North side of Honshu. It was a busy couple days, and a lot of time in the bus. It's a town both on the outskirts of the Japanese Alps and close to the coast of the Sea of Japan. We wandered through the fish market, made gold leaf boxes, relaxed in the outdoor hot springs, went to a famous garden in the area, and drank matcha tea in a historical district. I got to try black sesame and tofu ice-cream. It all was wonderful. I wish I got to see more of the mountains, though. But me and my friend Chris are going to start hiking on the weekends around Nagoya, so all is well.



Otherwise, I have my final test today to keep me in 300 (which better happen, because 200 is just going over everything I've already learned...) And I got me inkan, hooray! It says Kasurin, or "singing festival bell" :)




Jaa Mata!

No comments:

Post a Comment