Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Still alive!

My body has now almost recovered from the first week! My legs are certainly a sight to behold with all the mosquito bites and cuts, but my blisters are healed, which means that I may once again hold a machete! Through a wonderful group effort, we all finished clearing the land for the garden. Now we just need to outline the plots and hold a work day with the community for preparing the plots. We've got a lot of great soil (from our vermiculture bins) and a new compost bin which we are filling up as we go along. Otherwise, we've busied ourselved making a brick oven (on which we have cooked dinner these past two nights...I am learning to master Nicaraguan cooking from mi madre Maria, so good!). Learning to wash clothes by hand with an old-school style washboard. It's fun, but I feel I will have a new respect for electric washers and dryers when I return. And showers. We won't even talk about the state of my hair.
Otherwise, still chugging along with my Spanish...my conversations have progressed to Spanglish! Part of this is due to the awesome group I have with me. We speak and teach Spanish to each other. Still loving my little homestead in the jungle, it's a rewarding lifestyle, especially for hippies like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment